The internet is a funny place. Some days the various sites I visit on a regular basis are filled with stories of hate, tragedy, or terrible things said by unthinking people. Other days? Kermit and Ms. Piggy break-up, a rat carries pizza down subway stairs, or a seal surfs on the back of a humpback whale and it’s news. Life isn’t the only thing that is like a box of chocolates. Even expecting the unexpected, I was still surprised and delighted to see my name pop up on not one, but two other sites in one day.
First, I would like to thank Eric Klingenberg for including me in the list of blogs he loves. His site is definitely worth checking out as well, as the other blogs he mentions.
Later, I received word that my site has been nominated for the Liebster Award by another writer I know simply as Lily’s mom.
The rules are simple:
- Answer 11 questions given to you by your nominator;
- Leave a link back to the person who nominated you
- Nominate up to 11 blogs that are relatively new (usually less than 200 followers)
- notify your nominees
- Create 11 questions for the nominees.
Lily’s mom isn’t afraid to ask tough questions.
1. What do you think of your life so far?
Do I secretly wish that I had achieved the same sort of fame as Justin Timberlake, or made as much impact as Jackie Robinson? (We share birthdays) Absolutely, but at least I am trying my best. In any event, I have my health, the love of my family, and close friendships so my life isn’t all that bad.
2. What’s the cruelest thing you could do to another human being?
Forget them. Not pretend they never existed. Truly forget that they ever crossed your path.
3. How do you avoid doing #2?
I don’t. My brain can take only so much information, but the right people find ways to stick around in my memory banks.
4. What’s the kindest thing you could do for other human beings?
Listen with my full attention. I don’t do it enough.
5. How do you get motivated, or motivate others, to do more of #4?
I am trying to practice mindful thinking, but it hasn’t become second nature yet. Like now. I am thinking about how to best answer these questions, but I am also thinking about the pizza rat and realizing I could go for a slice about now as well. It’s a work in process.
6. What do you dream about at night?
My browser search history has probably put me on enough watch lists. I’d prefer not to add to them.
7. What do you daydream about during the day?
Mostly about how nice it would be to be sitting on a porch either in the mountains overlooking a river or at the beach overlooking the ocean. Or about food. My tummy can be quite distracting.
8. If you could go back and choose it, what would your first word be?
Czechoslovakia – a) because that is my favorite word to say. Say it out loud. It’s like a verbal roller coaster. b) because how awesome would it be for a baby to say Czechoslovakia. I probably would have gotten several college scholarships by the age of 8.
9. If there were anything you could remember about your life as a baby, what would be your chosen memory?
There is a picture of me crawling out from under a bed with a huge smile on my face. I would like to experience the joy and surprise of that moment at least once every day.
10. Why are we so quick to pose questions, and so slow to listen for the answers?
Because pizza exists and has many topping options.
11. If you had to ask yourself one question each day to take stock of your life, what would that question be?
What day is today? When I realize I not only don’t know but I also no longer care what the answer is, I will know that I have either achieved true freedom (my greatest dream) or my mind is going (one of my worst fears).
Now it’s my turn. As I’d like to second the nominations of Lily’s mom as well as encourage you again to check out Eric’s list, I am leaving my questions open to the public. Feel free to answer as many or little as you want and/or nominate another blog that should be nominated for an award.
- When you wake up, what is one thing you are sure of each day?
- If you were a superhero, what would be your name and power?
- Follow up – who would be your arch-villain?
- When was the last time you laughed to the point of crying?
- If you were cut off from WiFi for a month, what would be the first thing you did once it came back?
- If you could outlaw one thing for a day, what would it be?
- Your family pet speaks. What does it say?
- What are you having for dinner?
- What do you wish you were having for dinner?
- If you had to live one day over and over again, what day would you prefer?
- What is your favorite buzz feed type questionnaire and if you took the quiz, what was the result?